Warren County Iowa Genealogical Society




    Cool Fairview Community Church (Christian Union Church)

    Cool Fairview Community Church, 19705 Highway 92, Cool, Iowa (previously Fairview Christian Union Church, at 12013 Sherman Street, Cool, Iowa torn down around 2011)


    History of the Fairview Christian Union Church is copied from “Data on Warren County Churches” at the State Historical Society of Iowa, Des Moines, IA, film # War-56 (LDS film # 1034022)

    The Fairview Christian Union Church at Cool in Warren County was organized November 11, 1893 with twelve charter members. The first building was erected in 1894 at a cost of $1,500.00 and was located a quarter of a mile south of the town of Cool. This building burned in the winter of 1914. Services were held in the school house and a temporary tabernacle was established in Cool, where the present building now stands. The present building was dedicated July 26, 1916.

    On November 11, 1964, the seventh anniversary of the founding of Fairview Church was held. Mrs. Anna R. (NEW) KING was honored as the only surviving charter member. In the fall of 1958 the decision to finish the basement provided additional classrooms and during this remodeling, the regular church services were held in Brown’s Chapel Church near Milo. Later, additions have been made by the enclosed entry way which replaced the steepled vestibule.

    Pastors through the years have been: Rev. QUICK, Joe GRIFFIN, Charles HOLLINGSWORTH, Nathan EVELAND, N. D. GORDON, C. W. REED, J. W. GARBISON, Arthur CAULKINS, Coy DONAKEY, Rev. John H. EDWARDS. The present pastor, Rev. John MOATS, came in October 1970.

    A history of the Fairview Christian Union Church is copied from The History of Warren County, Iowa, compiled by the Warren County Genealogical Society, Curtis Media Corp., Dallas, Texas, 1987

    The first meetings were held in the Cool Schoolhouse before the church was built. The church was organized November 11, 1893 with twelve members: Maude BUTLER, Rebecca COURTNEY, Lizzie DISNEY, L. A. DISNEY, W. B. DISNEY, Sarah GOODRICH, Lizzie HESS, Ella R. KING, Elizabeth MORRIS, Lucy NEW, Anna NEW, and Etta NEW. Pastors serving the church before 1908 were Reverends QUICK, Joe GRIFFIN, Charlie HOLLINGWORTH, Nathan EVELAND, N. D. GORDON, and C. W. REED. Membership was 56 in 1908. The Sunday school superintendent was Horace Wallis.

    Fairview Church, which was located one-fourth mile south of the present structure, was erected in 1894. This building burned in the winter of 1914-15. A temporary tabernacle was then established in Cool and a new church was built during the summer and dedicated July 29, 1916. Some of the pastors who served in the following years were: Floyd JONES, C.W. STEWART, Charles HIGDON, Christy SMITH, Raymond HUNTER, Howard BALL, J. W. GARBISON and Arthur CAULKINS.

    September 1956 Reverend Coy DONAKEY of Enid, Oklahoma came to pastor for four years.