Warren County Iowa Genealogical Society




    Indianola First Baptist Church

    Indianola First Baptist Church, 200 E. First Street, Indianola, IA, (515) 961-3287 http://www.fbcindianola.com/
    The first church was built at this location in 1902.


    Copied from their website at  http://www.fbcola.org/

    The First Baptist Church of Indianola, Iowa, was founded in 1865 by J.A. POOL, a Baptist minister who moved to Iowa from Missouri. The original charter was established with nineteen members.

    Indianola Baptist Church, written by the Rev. Charles E. MOSHER, copied from History of Warren County, Iowa, by Gerard SCHULTZ and Don L. BERRY, The Record and Tribune Company, Indianola, Iowa, 1953, pages 119-151

    Early in 1865 J. A. POOL, a Baptist minister, came with his wife from Missouri to Indianola. Here he found a number of Baptists and under his leadership steps were taken toward organization of the First Baptist church of Indianola on May 11, 1865. The charter members were: Charles McKAY, John A. POOL, Rebecca POOL, E. W. HARTMAN, William LONG, William SHAWVER, Kesia SHAWVER, William WRIGHT, Martha WRIGHT, Mrs. F. E. HOWARD, Ursula A. WHITTAKER, Amanda COX, Elizabeth LEIBIG, Mary BISHOP, William BISHOP, Jonathan BISHOP and Sara Elizabeth BISHOP, nineteen in all. Special meetings and the arrival of delayed church letters rapidly increased the membership, which reached nearly 100 by September. The Rev. Mr. POOL served the church as its first pastor.

    The year I867 saw the church well established. The membership reached nearly 150, articles of incorporation were adopted, and the construction of a frame church at what is now the southwest corner of the intersection of highways 65-69 and 92 was begun. Here the members worshiped until 1902 when they bought a new location on First street and First avenue. Here they built the present brick church. The membership at this time was 156.

    The church was remodeled in 1950 by constructing a full basement and increasing available room for church work. The present membership of the church is 439. The average attendance of the church school for 1950 was 265 and other activities of the church have been going along very well.

    A Christian spirit of fellowship and love has always prevailed among the church members. Since 1865, when the church joined the central association, now known as the Roger Williams association, it has always cooperated with the denominational agencies. A total of twenty-five pastors have served the church since its organization. The present pastor, Charles E. MOSHER, is now in his sixth year with the church.

    Pastors are as follows: J. A. POOL, T. R. CRESSEY, D. EVANS, D. N. MASON, R. GARTON, J. D. MORRIS, W. TILLEY, the Rev. Mr. BAYLISS, E. D. BUCKMAN, D. HEAGLE, W. A. CAIN, D. WELSHER, Thomas S. BOVELL, G. C. PECK, Orr CAMPBELL, George B. SIMMONS, C. T. ILSEY, C. C. COLBY, B. F. TILLEY, F. E. VOLCK, J. O. WHITE, I. J. BRAME, J. L. BOWSER, Carl SPEIKER and the Rev. Mr. MOSHER.