Warren County Iowa Genealogical Society




    Wick Methodist Church

    Wick Methodist Church or “Wesley Chapel” , Jefferson Township, was built in 1871, rebuilt in 1896, and torn down in the 1960s.


    History of the Wesley Methodist Church copied from History of Warren County, Iowa from Its Earliest Settlement to 1908, by Rev. W.C. MARTIN, S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, Illinois, 1908, p.314)

    The first preaching services were held in the homes of the people. The first Methodist Evangelical class was organized in 1848. The Revs. WORLEY, PRING, ANDERSON, LAWBACK and GARBISON were among the first preachers. The members of the first class were John WALLACE, Julia Ann WALLACE, Elizabeth BERGER, Margaret BERGER and Darius BERGER.

    The Wesley Methodist Evangelical Church of Wick was erected in 1871, during the pastorate of Michael SHEETS, at a cost of eighteen hundred dollars, and dedicated by Rev. J. W. TODD. John WALLACE was the first class leader. The present trustees of the church are G. W. DAY, C.W. DUNN, L. S. MAINE, O. O. TRUCHER, and J. F. GRISSOM. Class leader, L. S. MAINE. This church was re-built in 1896 at a cost of one thousand dollars. J. H. SENSENEY preaching the re-opening sermon. William MERCER is the present pastor. The membership of this society is ninety. There is a flourishing Epworth League.

    Methodist Church At Wick, written by U. B. HEADRICK and copied from the History of Warren County, Iowa, by Gerard SCHULTZ and Don L. BERRY, The Record and Tribune Company, Indianola, Iowa, 1953, pages 119-151

    On April 22, 1871, Ulysses and Margaret C. BURGER, who had been the first settlers in Jefferson township, deeded one acre of ground for a church which was to be known as Wesley Chapel Methodist church. The erection of the church building was under the supervision of John W. BURRIS. The trustees of the church at this time were John S. WALLACE, John W. BURRIS, G. H. RIVELY, Joshua S. WALLACE, Jacob WAY, Amos MAIN and John STYLES. The first minister was Michael SHEETS.

    In 1898 the church building was remodeled. The alcove, vestibule and belfry were added. The trustees at that time were John GRISSIM, Oliver TINCHER, John STRAHAN and Loddy MAIN.