Warren County Iowa Genealogical Society




    Cumming Friends Church

    Cumming Friends (Quaker) Church, listed in 1887 Atlas as a Meeting House, Linn Township, organized and built in 1880.


    History of the Friends Church in Cumming, Iowa copied from the History of Warren County, Iowa from Its Earliest Settlement to 1908, by Rev. W.C. MARTIN, S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago, Illinois, 1908, 332.

    This church was built in 1880, at a cost of $1,400.00 and the society organized with about sixty charter members. The parsonage is on the same lot with the church, and occupied by the present pastor, E. LOFF. C.L. JENKS is the Sunday school superintendent. The enrollment is forty. Pastoral support last year, $300.00. Present membership is sixty-five.

    A brief history of the Friends Church in Cumming, Iowa, written by Gertryal SPANGLER, granddaughter of Cyrus G. CALLISON, is extracted from the book, Cumming, Iowa Centennial 1888-1988, by the Centennial Book Committee, 1988, p. 38-39.

    In Cumming, Iowa there is a quaint little Quaker church “Cumming Friends Church” on one acre of land in the southwest corner of Cumming. Land for the church was donated by Cyrus CALLISON so that the Quaker community could have a place to worship. The church was built by Charley SNYDER, who owned lumber yards in Cumming and Norwalk, Iowa. The little church consisted of one room, built of brick, with trim of stone, native to the area. Later, a parsonage was built just east of the church which had five rooms. Their first pastor was Rev. E. LOFT. Around 1926 church services were discontinued when the members of this church united with the Cumming Methodist Episcopal Church.

    Note: In 1988, when this centennial book was written, this church was still in existence and maintained by descendents of the CALLISON family.